What is a Travel Power Wheelchair?
A travel power wheelchair is a mobility aid for a disabled person who needs and wants to maintain their freedom to travel. Travel could mean in a car to the grocery store, the movie theater, or a restaurant, or it could include air travel to visit a friend or a to take a vacation.
Pride Mobility makes an assortment of powered chairs, wheelchairs with motors essentially, that can allow people to go even further without the worry of getting tired while using a manual wheelchair.
This category of a wheelchair, the motorized chair, can be quite a bit more expensive than a manual wheelchair, so here is an in-depth look at the Pride Mobility Go-Chair Travel Chair. This review will give you some features, benefits, and costs to consider when making a decision.
Summary of Features
- The battery will last for up to 8 miles
- The Go-Chair Travel Power Wheelchair will support a person who weighs up to 250 lbs.
- The chair’s top speed is 3.5 mph
- Tight turning radius, which comes in handy when maneuvering indoors
- The Go-Chair weighs 130 lbs
- The chair disassembles into 4 pieces so that you can fit it in your car and take it to the shopping mall or the grocery store for example
- Price includes 1 Year Labor Contract + Free Shipping
Pride Mobility’s Go-Chair is a power chair designed for travel.
The chair can be disassembled into four pieces within a few minutes. This makes it easier to get the parts to fit properly in a car, van, or truck.
You remove the battery pack, and then the frame can be knocked-down into the remaining three parts.
The Go-Chair is powered by twin motors to take the driver up to 3.5 mph. This may not seem very fast, but it’s all about the traction. The twin motors will take someone up a hill, and the chair maneuvers well in all cases.
For those of you who like to compare the details when you shop, here are the sizes and materials you’ll be interested in.
- Weight Capacity: 250 lbs
- Seat Type: Padded, vinyl seat
- Seat Color(s): Black and grey seat
- Seat Material(s): Vinyl coated seat
- Arm Rest: Padded, plastic armrest
- Standard Seat Width: 18″
- Standard Seat Depth: 18″
- Back Seat Rest Height: 12”
- Ground Height Clearance: 1.75″ ground clearance
- Battery Range Per Charge: 8-mile battery capacity
- Maximum Speed: 0 – 3.5 mph
- Turning Radius: 26.75″ turning radius
- Braking System Description: Automatic braking system
- Model Number: GOCHAIR
- Overall Length: 29″ long
- Overall Width: 23.5″ wide
- Total Weight: 130 lbs
- Front Wheel(s): 5″ solid, flat free tires
- Rear Wheels: 8″ solid, flat free tires
- Anti-tip Wheels: Yes
- Battery Included: Yes
- Battery: 12AH battery
- Battery Volts: 12 Volts
- Battery Optional Sizes: None
- Battery Charger: 2 amp off the board battery charger
- Body Color(s): Red and blue
- Disassembly: The Go-Chair disassembles into 4 pieces
- Basket Included: No
- Headlight: No
- Transportable/Collapsible: Collapses into 4 pieces, and the parts are small enough to fit in most cars, trucks, and vans.
- Foldable: The Go-Chair cannot be folded
- 5 Year Warranty: Covers the following – platform, forks, seat post, and frame welds.
- Two Year Warranty: All electronic parts including controllers and battery chargers.
- 1 Year Warranty: drivetrain, differential, motor, and brakes.
- 6 Month Warranty: the batteries are covered by a separate 6-month warranty, provided by the battery manufacturer.
Pros and Cons
- Easy to learn, easy to use.
- Our tester found the seat cushions comfortable.
- The arms raise easy in to ease access in and out of the chair.
- Smooth operation and handling.
- Brakes were responsive.
- It has a little bit of difficulty maneuvering on rugs
- The seat cushion is comfortable, the back is soft, but the back feels like it sits a little too upright for long-term comfort